Friday, November 28, 2008

What are they doing to my city?

I've spent the last hour going through pictures, and I just can't seem to understand what is happening to the city I know and love so much. I have never seen Bombay like this, and its been really hard for me to see it in this state.








My uncle and aunt live on this street and I spent three months here this summer, its unbelievable seeing it this way.




While I am unable to handle what is happening, people around me are happily ignorant. Yesterday, not a single person at uni asked me how I felt about the fact that terrorists had taken over my city. Its not like my friends don't care; all of them are happily living in their own little bubble, with their own lives and problems. People just do not care about what is happening in the world, and I hate this indifference more than anything else.

7 comments:

Szerelem said...

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/11/mumbai_under_attack.html

it's so fucking depressing. And the jingoism has started all over gain - all these anti Pakistan slogans etc. etc. are so unhelpful and I just wish Narendra Modi would shut his fucking mouth.

Szerelem said...

sorry, here

ash said...

Hey Pan, long time no see. I couldn't believe it when I saw you posting again in my feed reader...welcome back. I wish it could be under better circumstances.
I can't imagine what it must be like for you, it's so shocking even for people who don't have a connection with Bombay - and yet the world keeps turning.

Anonymous said...

As you know, I agree fully with Szerelem up there.

As NC would say, JAI HIND!

Charlie said...

Ash is right: This is a terrible thing for both you and many people around the world, but the majority of peoples could care less if it doesn't affect them directly.

It is the indifference and selfishness of many Americans that have made me hate the Bush invasion of Iraq even more than I did when it happened.

The Taj is so exotic and stately-looking—I would have loved roaming around in it—and I hate to see it burning.

I'm so sorry for you, Pan.

Panacea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Panacea said...

Sz: I woke up yesterday morning to Narendra Modi talking on the news and had a stupid arguement with my mother about it, even though it wasn't her fault. You have no idea how much I hate that man. I'm so sick of politicians playing the blame game. I really thought it would be different this time, but clearly not!

Ash: OMG ASH!! Its been a while, hasn't it? Its really nice to see you still lurking around!
Its really shocking, but now I'm just really, really angry. I keep thinking about unimportant details like, how my favourite restaurant is burnt down to flames, or what a beautiful building the taj was, and I know they are insignificant but its all I can think right now.

E: IAWTC :)

Charlie: Its not just Americans, I think we're all just getting so attuned to violence that its stopped bothering people anymore, unless it affects them directly. Its really just really sad when society starts becoming like this.

The Taj is one of the prettiest buildings in the city. Its just so ridiculously out of place, but that makes it even more incredible.