Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Guess Who's Back?

Clichéd post titles apart, I'm officially out from blog retirement. But my exams are not over yet, I still have exactly 10 whole days, 5 exam papers and 2 full subjects to complete before they do actually get over, but I have finished most of them. Before I actually begin this post, I have to warn people reading this that this post is absolutely subjectless and consists solely of my random ramblings.
The last two weeks have been filled with odd sleeping and food habits, exam pressure and not to mention bad hair. (I always have bad hair during exams, it's some kind of condition that I'm forced to suffer with) I have actual dark circles below my eyes, my first dark circles. I'm not to sure whether to be proud that I'm an adult now because I have dark circles or get wound up like most people about them. I think, I'll wait a few more years before they start worrying me.
I'm not a very 'sitting up late night to study' person. My eye-lids start drooping as soon as the clock touches 11.00 p.m and I just can't keep myself awake, however desperate my exam preparation is. Now because of this terrible 'early to bed' habit I'm forced to set the alarm early in the morning. The problem with alarms is that I have to set the alarm at least an hour in advance in order to get up at a particular time. (The person who invented the 'snooze' button on alarm clocks should win a Noble prize). As a result, I've been setting my alarm at 3.15 - 3.30 a.m in the morning to be up by 4.00 to study the things I haven't finished the morning before the exam for the last two days. This 'early morning getting up' thing has got me into a 'napping in the afternoons' habit. I love afternoon naps. Aren't they the bestest thing ever? (For people who are mentally correcting my bad grammar, I'm quite aware that 'bestest' isn't a word, and that doesn't stop me from using it.) I know, I'm getting into my grandma's habits of going to bed early, rising early in the morning and having afternoon naps.
My desperate examination situation makes me wonder what the hell was I exactly doing for a month of study leave before the exams began. I can't say I didn't know that it was going to be like this. I knew exactly what I would be in for, if I didn't revise properly before the exams, but now I just feel like an idiot. Knowing me, I am well aware that even if I did have a time-turner, like the ones they use in badly written Harry Potter fanfiction, I would have still not revised properly because apart from several other things I also happen to be the queen of procrastination.
I can't believe I'm almost two thirds done with the IB. It used to feel like it was going to last forever and now I'm almost done with it. Suddenly my whole world seems quite empty right now. I remember the psycological torture we had to undergo before we actually started the course with lectures from teachers which went like quote, "You think you're going to do well, but you're all going to fail." unquote.
Under these warnings our disillusioned selves began this course two years ago and I have to agree with most people in my grade. Yep, they've been hell alright, but I guess the satisfaction one derives from doing courses like the IB is that you actually feel well versed in your fields of knowledge and that makes it worth it. It's nice to feel intelligent, isn't it? One doesn't get that feeling too often these days.
My bladder has been running out of bounds these days. I'm sure not too many people over here do care or are interested in my urinary habits, but I shall mention them in any case. I'm telling you, it's gotten out of control. Like today, I had a two hour, writing intensive Economics exam and after an hour, I had to pee and not just pee, pee badly. But I was forced to sit there for another hour and continue writing wildly, while pretending that my bladder was not going to burst out any second. This was when I went to the bathroom right before the paper. I'm not even going to start discussing both my English papers, when I actually forgot to go to the bathroom before the exam began.

5 comments:

ash said...

1. I can't remember when I started getting dark circles, but they're here to stay.

2. I always look particularly bad during exam periods.

3. Yep, I haven't done anywhere near enough revision for my exams either, which is why...

4. ...I've been doing the 'get up early and revise last minute before the exam' thing, only I've been combining it with 'revise very late the night before'. And afternoon naps? None at all. So basically I've been getting by on less than 4 hours of sleep a day. Lovely.

The Poodle's Friend said...

See, this is why I'm a nerd all year so I don't have to cram at the last minute. Mind you, I cram anyway.
I also get the annoying dark circles, and they combine with the horrid pallor of my complexion and make everything ten times worse.

Charlie said...

You and TPF and Ash should go to school in the U.S. Examinations last for two or three days, and whether or not you pass them, you graduate anyway.

And then people complain about the Dumbing Down of America. Duh.

I miss you, Pan. And tell the pallid one, too. Her damn foot's been hurting since 4/27 and I've had enough of it.

I need some schoolgirl snark badly.

Panacea said...

Frankengirl - What? I thought this was a doctoral thesis on common bladder and sleeping issues people face in our country today?!
*sigh* Thank you. You've just made me feel intelligent with my doctoral thesis and I can assure you that this does not happen too often :D

You icon according to me is the epitome of the 'ideal woman' so I guess we'll just have to follow her style :)

Ash - Now you've just made me feel guilty for feeling sorry for myself these last few weeks. Well, at least they're all over now so you can have some fun. I still have another week to go :(

I can't wait to start universtiy. You make it seem ever so wonderful :P

Panacea said...

Admiral - You know, I have this American friend who didn't have to do end of the year exams at all because her GPA was over a certain point. I'm still rather peeved out about it. And you can see how annoyed I am about this because I used the word 'peeved'

I just have three terrible, terrible Chemistry papers left and I'm all done. I just can't wait :D

The pallid one shall be informed of yor wishes and considering that her majesty has finished all the exams that she actually needed to study for, I see no reason for her not updating, apart from her laziness.

TPF - See, this is why I'm a nerd all year so I don't have to cram at the last minute Just because you miraculously do well in everything does not mean that you actually STUDY.

I totally agree with the second part of your comment :P