Monday, August 14, 2006

Independence Day

Tomorrow, 15th August is the Indian Independence day. Yes folks, at the stroke of midnight exactly 59 years ago, in the year 1947, we became free. Freedom is a very subjective word in this context, I suppose. It is also the first date I actually remember memorizing after my own birthday.

When I was younger, my dad and I used to spend the Independence day morning watching the national parade on television. He always made me stand up when they played the national anthem because according to him it is blasphemous to sit down when the national anthem of any country is playing. So we stood up as soon as the President's orchestra started playing. I loved standing up. It was always a special occasion for me. This was because, on most other days I never had the opportunity to consciously stand up straight, while looking at television for a few minutes. Then, we used to watch the President's speech, whilst I normally lost interest in it mid way because I could never understand the big Hindi words he used in this speech. Mind you, this wasn'’t because I was a stupid child; colloquial Hindi is so much different from formal Hindi, that I still normally don't understand all of the President'’s speech.

As I grew up, it became mandatory to participate in the school independence day celebrations where we had to stand in the hot sun all morning, sing patriotic songs in three languages (Hindi, English and Marathi). Then of course, there was the flag unfurling ceremony where we sang the national anthem. I loved singing our national anthem and still do enjoy singing it, even though I haven'’t had the opportunity to sing it in the last four years. I don't think I liked it because it made me feel patriotic, but because I always felt that it was a beautiful song.

I'’m not exactly what you call a nationalist, well not consciously at least. I'm the first person to criticize my country where it deserves, which is what I normally do. But today I have decided to do something else. I ha’ve decided to talk about why I like my country and not why I dislike it. I'’m not going to talk about the hypocrisy with which Indian culture treats women or how religion is going to be the end of our people or about the absolute poverty, illiteracy and corruption, but about why I love it so much. Whatever faults India may have, it is still my country and I love it very much because it defines who I am and where I allegedly belong, well according to my passport, at least.

I love my country because I grew up there and whatever little morals I may have, they are because of my upbringing there. I love it because of it'’s wonderful film industry (yes, I am one of those one billion suckers that actually likes Bollywood movies). I love it because we have great food. Seriously, which other country can boast to be more creative than us where vegetarian food is concerned? When I talk about food, it encompasses all kinds of foods including snacks, three course meals, street food and junk food. I love how we like to Indianize every western item we come across, even McDonalds rather than fall pray to plain old westernization. I also love it because we have seasonal fruits that you don'’t get anywhere else in the world.

I love it because our national sport it cricket and we'’re great at it. The World Cup is next year, and wait and see, we'’re going to be absolutely brilliant. I love it because of it'’s chaotic traffic. You never feel alone or lonely, at least in Bombay. I love the fact that you can never be alone on the streets whatever time of night it may be because there are people everywhere, all the time.

I love it because we have the monsoon season, which according to me is the best season in the world. I love it because we have a great sense of style and clothing. In India, I can wear a pair of jeans with a kurta and not have to face hoards of people looking at me strangely. We have even managed to make ourselves look hot in saris, a garment which was created supposedly to cover up our bodies. I love it because everyone there is so friendly and I wouldn't even think twice before asking my neighbours for any sort of help. Here, I don't even know who lives next door to me.

I love it because we have so many languages (and yes, they are languages with different scripts and not just dialects. The next person to ask me about this is going to have to listen to a long rant). You just grow up speaking and studying two, three different languages and understanding at least one or two more. I love the fact that whenever I am there, I always end up speaking in a bizarre, incomprehensible mixture of Hindi/English/Marathi all at the same time, and everybody still understands me.

I love it because every single person you meet from there comes from such a diverse cultural background that everyone might as well come from a different country, and yet we manage to love each other just fine. I also love it because in India you grow up having a lot of friends everywhere. I knew practically every kid my age on the whole street where I lived because everyone always knows everyone else. India is a country where it is very difficult for someone to keep a secret. But what I love the most about it is how people like me can grow up there retaining our own culture and languages, while watching American sitcoms, movies and speaking fluent English. It'’s like you grow up belonging to two different worlds. I can listen to Led Zeppelin and love Bollywood music all at the same time.

So there, that is how I'’ve spent my Independence day this year. I can't watch the parade on television here or sing the national anthem, but what I can do is give us a fine tribute that even the President in his fancy Hindi might have problems trying to compete with.

Mera Bharat is truly mahan! :)

8 comments:

niTin said...

Sniff. That was touching.
The president will certainly have trouble topping that.
About food. C'mon who can say they hate Indian food. Even OJ loves it- the oily, salty, unhealthy package of delights.
And Bollywood movies, sigh, the colorful, dream-like movies with dance and song sequences- where we go to fall in love, to cry and to laugh.
And the cohesiveness of the society.
A society that is so diverse, and yet it moves ahead... defying all rules of physics.
Finally. I want to paraphrase Thomas Friedman who said- Take a champagne bottle, shake it for an hour-then remove the cork- you don't want to come in the way of that cork... India is that cork.

The Poodle's Friend said...

Yes it is.
Sniff.

ash said...

Well that's a date for me to remember...I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know the date of India's independence. My mum and dad never really talked about it, or at least never mentioned the exact date to me.

It's been a long long time since I've been there, especially with other things coming in the way...maybe I need to go again, soon.

Eris said...

jai vada pav and mumbai slang!

Elle said...

That was an excellent post. You write very well, and have made add India to my 'Places To Visit Before I Die' list...thanks :)

Nikki said...

I've always wanted to go to India.

I used to have a Sergeant in the military who was from India and he brought me back a sandlewood scented elephant.

I love that thing - the scent is long gone, but I keep it.

Good for you for loving it.

Arthur Quiller Couch said...

So do they have a little Independence Day celebration in that Indian+Bangladeshi quarter near Milan Central station, what's it called, that stop before it on the red line?

Panacea said...

Nitin - *sigh* If OJ loves Indian food, we'll have to accept her authority without any further discussion :)
That was a nice comment, I can completely understand what you feel because I feel the same.

TPF - I know! *sniffs back*

not.me - Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!

Ash - I think 15th August and 26th January are the only important Indian dates that I actually remember myself. I don't really know most of the other dates, but my excuse is that they change every year because of the Lunar calender :D
I'm sure you'll have a lovely trip if you do decide to go there for a visit!

Eris - What more can I say, you've summed me up completely. I don't know any other language apart from Mumbai slang so yes, I'm rather proud of it too.

dreamwalker - Aww, now I'm blushing! I'm really happy that you enjoyed it.

Nikki - Thanks :)
Unfortunately, I've never been much of a sandlewood fan, but I'm the only odd one out because everyone else I know loves sandlewood.

Arthur Quiller Couch - Ooh, you've been here? Cool! The DVD rental shop that I get my Hindi movies from is in that area actually. I'm not sure whether they had any celebrations there, but I know they had something at the consulate.