Saturday, April 22, 2006

New York New York

I can't be bothered to think of something interesting to to write about, so I might as well do another photo post. Last summer I had gone to stay with my cousins in New Jersey, I also happened to visit New York City several times. As a first time visitor to NYC and America itself, I have to admit, I was enamoured. Coming from a developing country and then living in Europe, I can probably say that I've seen a lot of things. But woah, tall buildings and bright lights are something I that hadn't seen either in India or in Europe. I felt like as if I was in a Hollywood movie attracted to the bright Broadway lights. And of course a huge city like New York is full of garbage bins and signs, which hopefully people might know I absolutely adore.

So here are a few ahem.. interesting signs I encountered. I personally agree with the first sign, but that's just I'm terrified I'm going to die of passive smoking you see.

This one below was funny. I'm not sure if everyone can read it, but I must say its innovative.

I found the next two signs on the middle of a crowded 5th Avenue. I must say, the New York traffic control department has an interesting sense of parking humour.

So is 'The Box' an American traffic term I don't understand?


For some reason I found this sign that was put next to Central Park rather sweet. I mean, its got a little, red heart and everything.

Hmm, I'm not sure what this meant, it wasn't a poster but a sign that was put up everywhere on this one street I was walking on. Its a rather interesting psychological technique of overcoming fear.

If people were wondering how expensive this shoe shop was...

And finally just another one I shall leave you with. I liked the 'No Money Available' bit below.

I refuse to put up my garbage box collection from NYC because of the sheer amount of interesting bins in the city available for photography. I have a beautiful collection of Times Square images too. As I mentioned before, I was enamoured, all I could keep on doing every time I visited Times Square is take pretty pictures oh which I'm going to post just one. Growing up in a huge city myself makes me rather fond my big cities. I can completely understand why most other people don't like them too much and how terrible they are to live in, but you have to admit, they have their own charm, that is if you like skyscrapers, billboards, movie posters and large crowds.

6 comments:

The Poodle's Friend said...

As I always say, Times Square is the only place in the world which can make advertising look beautiful.

Loving the signs, as usual. Which reminds me: any idea where the fossilized band-aid photo is?

Charlie said...

Wonderful collection, as were your previous photographs.

Personally, I would like to see the signs and trash bins in Bombay.

And perhaps TPF has some of Istanbul. Nah.

Eris said...

i think i like american traffic police. no kidding. lol.

Nikki said...

Wow Pan. I have never been to NYC. I've traveled the states a bit and went to Germany once but that's it. I would love to go see the Statue of Liberty myself one day.

Panacea said...

TPF - I have the fossilized nand-aid. Want me to email it to you? Well I personally love adverts. Remember the Kaka billboards for Armani a few months ago. Harry and I went crazy over them.

Mr. Poop - Signs and trash cans in Bombay? You're being optimistc here, Admiral :D

Eris - I completely agree, at least they have a sense of humour. In Italy, traffic police don't exist.

Nikki - I've been to Germany once. I found it rather..ahem.. antiseptic for my taste, but that's just because I'm used to messy places. Alright, who am I kidding, it was beautiful, just like anywhere else in Europe.

Srtangely enough, the Statue of Liberty is not half as exciting as one would imagine. It's well, smaller than what they show it in pictures, but pretty much the same and you can't even go up anymore.

Panacea said...

I liked it how the traffic deparment in NYC gave a new meaning to 'freedom of speech' :)

The 'probably' bit in the sign almost makes you want to go around the shoe shops in town and look for the cheapest possible one just to prove them wrong. :D