Monday, February 05, 2007

Foreign Bookstores

I should technically be desperately studying right now, but all I feel like doing is going to bed and procrastinating. I've been having exams for more than a month now. It is just four exams stretched out over month and a half and what a terrible month it has been. My last one is on Valentine's Day, so at least I have an excuse to stay at home this year and be miserable on my own. Ignore me folks, I'm just whinging out of self pity.
I've been thinking quite a lot these last few days about how lovely my Paris trip was. I have also now come to the conclusion, that Paris is definitely the most beautiful city in I've have ever been to, in every sense. But strangely enough, now that I think about it my favourite place in Paris was a plain old bookshop rather than any of the city's impressive structures. This is the particular bookshop that I am talking about. It has been almost a month since I got back and I cant seem to stop obsessing over this bookshop.


I am really bad at directions, but roughly speaking the shop on the banks of the Seine, in front of the Notre Dame, just next to the entrance of the Latin Quarter, near the St Michael bridge. It is also extremely small, as in the width of the whole store is just what is shown in the above picture. This makes it very stuffy and crowded inside, but people don't seem to mind because it has such wonderful books. It also has a second floor, which consists of antique books that you are not allowed to buy, but you can sit there and read all to your heart's content. To my delight, the shop sells only English books. Most people outside Continental Europe do not realize how difficult/expensive it is to buy books written in English here.

I don't even know how to start describing the insides of this wonderful store. It is very strange architecturally from the inside, as in it has little rooms everywhere. Now these little rooms are also full of bookshelves from the top the bottom. This makes it extremely uncomfortable to navigate around the store. At one point I found myself surrounded by books on all three sides from the top of the roof to the bottom and no moving space.

The books seem to be arranged in no order whatsoever. I'm sure they have their own system in there, but in the very short time I spent in there, I couldn't figure it out. But all this made the shop prettier and more approachable, if you know what I mean. Another great thing about this store was that, on the top floor there were these tiny rooms with beds everywhere for people to lie down and read. We unfortunately did not have enough time to sit and read in there, but the though of lying by a bed, next to a window looking towards the Notre Dame and peacefully reading antique books sounds really beautiful, doesn't it?

I don't think any shop in the world that I ever visit is ever going to live up to this one. It was just beautiful and I know my post does not do much justice to it. It almost makes me want to live in Paris just go visit this shop every weekend and browse through some of my favourite books.

Oooh, the start of the movie Before Sunset, is filmed in the bookstore. I didn't realize this until a few days ago when they were showing it on television for the umpteenth time and I was actually watching it again for the umpteenth time. I suddenly saw this familiar store that has been in my mind for a such a long time now and got overly excited, and had no one to gush about this. So this is me gushing about a trivial bookstore. I promise to write about something more interesting next time.

9 comments:

airy voices said...

Your blog always gets me onto something.. now I have this desperate urge to watch before sunset AND go see the bookshop.

I'm obsessed with bookshops. I dreamt about one a while ago.. It was beautiful.. absolutely stuffed with books and I was the owner :)

Szerelem said...

Omg! Pan we are so alike....hehehe
I loved Shakespeare & Co. I spent one whole afternoon at that shop. It's just the most adorable shop in the world and I totally identify with everything in your post. I love how you walk out and you are right on the banks of the Siene and I love the people you see in the shop. It's a strange mix. Sigh. Only in Paris can you have things like that. Now I want to go back there :(
It really is the best city in the world. For me atleast.

The Poodle's Friend said...

You're obsessed, woman. Seriously.
You should come to the Jerwood and read on the beds there overlooking the Cam. Not that I've ever done it myself, but it's all over the prospectus.

Szerelem said...

@TPF: I think I told you this, but the Jerwood building is the most adorable ever. If my uni had a library like that I would be there all the time.

Anonymous said...

Talking of quirky bookstores. When I went to Michigan, there was this one bookstore we visited it was called "Kaleidoscope" and it was the most beautifulest ever. If I studied there I would so live there.
Me feel jealous.

Panacea said...

Airy Voices: Heeee! Before Sunset is a great movie, along with its prequel Before Sunrise :) I wish I dreamt of bookshops, unfortunately I just get weird dreams connected to Heroes episodes

Szerelem: I was just wondering whether you went there when you were in Paris. It is beautiful, isnt it? I couldn't spend more than half an hour there because we really had to see other places :( This is what happens when you go to Paris for 5 days. It is the best city in the world for me too.

TPF: The Jerwood is lovely. I'd totally be monopolizing that window overlooking the Cam all the time if I was there. You know what window I'm talking about! :)

Nitin: I know what you mean about wanting to live in bookstores :) There is really something about them, isnt it?
Btw, this is a silly question but what html code do you use to post links in the comments section of Blogger?

niTin said...

html lesson:
So this is how you post links (and appear ultra-geeky)
The basic code is
[a href="yoursite"]yourlink[/a]
Now use < > instead of the square brackets (otherwise that would've become a link, which we don't want)

For example:
[a href="http://www.google.com] Best search engine [/a]
should come out as
Best search engine

Now the question is whether I do it each and every time?
Of course not. I use google writely
use the generic link on text, convert that to html, copy and paste.
Geeking to live, not living to geek.

Panacea said...

Like This

OMG, I think I got it. Now the question is how am I ever going to remember this? Sometimes I feel so unadvanced technologically :(

niTin said...

You don't need to.
See, I bet you know how to use the link function on blogger. Leave a draft specifically for pasting links on comments.
Now whenever you need to put a link up...
1. type the required text
2. link it as usual.
3. convert it into html by clicking the link below.
4. clear off all extraneous tags. (this is important.)
5. copy and paste.
6.preview and check whether the links work.
7. post.
This is better because now you don't need to remember those tags and even if you did remember, it's sort of easier this way.