Monday, February 19, 2007

Louis Vuitton and Ray Bans

The problem with living and studying in Milan is that you can't afford to have a bad hair day here. It is just not possible for a person who wakes up late one morning to get into a hoodie, wear a baseball cap and go for lectures. It is something unheard of. People prefer to wake up early to get ready for uni or skip classes if they wake up late rather than attend the day with dark circles and no make up.

I would be lying here if I said that I don't bother with how I look and I don't really care what other people think. However, I can't be bothered to wear make up every day. That would be pushing it too far, even for me. I wake up much too late for that each morning. I barely make it to lessons on time. But I do make sure that I am decently dressed and have clean hair each day. I wouldn't dare to go to uni with unkempt hair. I just think, its something that comes naturally to you, once you spend enough time in this city.

Its just that Italian people like to be well dressed, I guess. Of course, most of these people that I see at uni are pushing the limits of being well dressed. It can get rather ridiculous at times. For example, it is perfectly normal in uni to wear sun glasses in any month of the year, regardless of the sun or rain. As I came out of lectures today, I saw a whole group of boys and girls with Ray Bans going around, pretending to extremely cool as if they did not look like absolute idiots. Winters in Milan are not exactly bright and sunny, but no one really seems to care.

I, myself have a strict policy about sun glasses, as in I refuse to wear them later than October. This year I even had my parents teasing me about wearing my sun glasses so late on in autumn. But it really is almost a part of university custom to wear your sun glasses and who am I to question tradition? Also, the fact that I happen to love my sun glasses, was an additional advantage, I suppose. But even I, with all my vanity could not bear to wear them later then early November. It just gets too dark to see anything. I don't understand how people can do it.

Italy is also the only country where guys carry Louis Vuitton bags to uni, wear Gucci belts and Armani jeans and proudly proclaim to be heterosexual. I know perfectly straight men in my class who actually go get fake tans all through the year, so that their skin can look good in every season. Funnily enough, Italian men are obsessively homophobic and cringe every time anyone says the word 'metrosexual'. So I just can't seem to understand Italian teenagers, however hard I try.

I live in a country where most of the men like wearing tight jeans, spending hours in the gym, and carrying designer bags and most women like wearing tight jeans, spending hours in the gym and carrying designer bags too. So where is this big gender inequality that people seem to be raving on about, I ask you ?

9 comments:

The Poodle's Friend said...

We need to name your Ray Bans. NOW.
How about...
1) Cary
2) Leo
3) Paul
Any suggestions, anyone?

Szerelem said...

Muahahahaz....there is something about Italian and their sun glasses!!! Even in december all the Italians had their Ray Bans at hand!
In Venice, I was at a Chocolaterie and there was this bunch of Italians drinking hot chocolate at 11 in the night and all of them had their sun glasses on their heads!! And then of course when my friend had trouble finding me at St. Marks square they blamed it on the fact that I was wearing my sun glasses and had morphed into an Italian!
Its funny what you said about the men because I have felt that too - they are extremely fashionable and very old school macho. Oh well, the Italians have the most amazing fashion sense.

About your Ray Bans - I vote for Paul!

niTin said...

Ahem ahem.
Studying in an American University, I must say that I've never come across a well-dressed guy. In fact, there's only one well-dressed guy I can think of and I assumed he was um, gay. Some girls are okay in that respect and actually take care to match their belt with their shoes.
But many still come to class in their pajamas. No kidding.
Personally, I don't like any of those names. They're too American and they don't sound sunglassy. It should be something French like Yves or something. Or Jean-Luc.

Nikki said...

OMG,

I wear my sunglasses year round. The winter sun is harsh.

...and the first time I see a guy with tight pants and a bag..I'm going to ask him to send me to a couple of good stores. LOL

Szerelem said...

WHERE are you?
updates wanted much.

airy voices said...

http://blogtersonline.informe.com/index.php

they have quite a few episodes--including 18!! and it' great quality. and they've stopped it here till april 23rd!!!!!! (i'm talking about heroes btw)

airy voices said...

they as in nbc... oh and the site might be a little slow but its worth it!

Renovatio said...

Naw, for sunglasses you need a nice italian name... something like Raoul or Raphael or Allisandro... I had a pair of Allisandros for all of two days... they were one of those cyclops kinds... whatever you call the ones that're one continuous pane... either way, my friend fell asleep on my bag in the train, and somehow managed to crack them right down the middle with his thick skull... I remember hearing them snap, but not knowing what the sound was... I was keeping another friend company, considering he'd left his lens solution in his bag in another compartment, we'd all run down about eight compartments to grab the twelve or so berths that were separate as we didn't want to send the ladies down alone...

Panacea said...

TPF: I like Leo or Paul. Hmmmm, this is going to be a tough decision!

Szerelem: You should see the guys/girls coming to class (I mean literally inside the classroom) with sunglasses and keeping them on their heads for the whole lesson. Its so silly. You're right! Italian men are very old school and I'm not sure whether I like that in them or not.
I'm having a terrible semester. I promise to be back soon, but I really don't see my uni situation getting any better for regular updates :(

Nitin: Let me not comment on the dressing sense of Americans. We have some American exchange students at uni come in track suits. Its horrifying! I cannot give my Ray Bans a French name. Tis impossible! It's like saying that Jeremy Irons is a Hollywood actor or something (alright, I suck at analogies, but you get the point!)

Nikki: Ha, here in Italy, you'll have to be talking to every guy you meet on the street. Italian men are known for liking their pants tight and this is not just a cultural generalization :)

Airy Voices: I know they've stopped till April 23rd. Its infuriating actually. I've seen them all till the 18th by the way. I've been religiously spending Tuesday morning before uni watching Heroes Thanks for the link in any case :D

Renovatio: The problem with naming my sunglasses 'Alessandro' is that I seem to know several in real life. It'll be weird naming them after my friends, wouldnt it?
I thought I was the only one who sat on glasses and broke them. I snapped my, ahem (fake) Dior glasses by sitting on my rucksack once. I love my present Ray Bans (they're the classic shaped ones that everyone has, but mine are nicer than everyone else's of course)