Saturday, January 28, 2006

Of English Teachers, Bad Boys and Fiction

Lets see, today is true confessions time. Well, it is not really a secret to anyone who knows me. I have a terrible crush on my English teacher. He is definately gay with a boyfriend, completely secretive about his personal life, utterly detached from his students and there are rumours all around school that he's into heroin. He does smoke like a chimney so there might a slight probabilty that the latter might be true. I was always into bad boys. *sigh*

Well, for future references we are all going to call him Dave (this is obviously not his real name because I can imagine him googling his name and reading this post, I would just kill myself out of shame if he did). But it is not just me who has a big crush on him, both Harry and Micky (other Dave fangirls) love him as much as I do. See, I dont personally think that he is physically attractive, but he is so intelligent (he studied at Cambridge) and he knows everything. Ok, TPF insists that he is not half as smart as we think him to be and the only reason he appears to be smart is that he only talks about the things he knows. But then again, TPF is just jealous that she has AKB for English and not Dave. Oh dear god, I do realize I sound like a 12 year old swooning over her first crush but that's what I do feel like. I do expect a comment from TPF mocking me for this post but she shouldnt talk because when she has a Mike or a Jude post and she'll have me doing all the mocking then.

So that brings me onto bad boys and fictional characters...what is it about fictional characters that appeals to people? Maybe because everything is just left to imagination in fiction and I personally believe that imagination is a wonderful thing. And then people wonder why I like reading, hello, has anyone seen the eyecandy around in books? Anyways, here's my top ten list of shaggable fictional characters in no particular order:

  1. Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice, every girl's fantasy, isnt he? rich, hot, sexy... the only thing putting off about him is that his name is Fitzwilliam. Seriously, Jane, what were you thinking?)
  2. Angelo (Shakespeare's Measure for Measure...most people see his as a cruel, corupt general, I like to think of him as a confused repressed man manipulated by the Duke and come on, dont we all just feel sorry for him at the end of the play?)
  3. Heathcliff (ah, the tormented lover from one of my favourite books, Wuthering Heights...I really dislike Catherine, she ruins him and thats that and no matter what anyone tells me, this is going to be my stubborn opinion)
  4. Aladdin (honestly cartoon or no cartoon, have you seen those abs?)
  5. Alex Thomas (The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood... ok, TPF thinks he's just dirty, I just think he's the hottest criminal I've ever read about)
  6. Jay Gatsby (oh, that poor, poor, rich bachlor we all just love!)
  7. Captain Wentworth (Persuasion, he still loves her even after she dumps him...*sob* does this book make anyone else apart from me cry their lungs out because of the angst in there?)
  8. Count Dracula (hey, he drinks blood and is a vampire..you guys do know how much that turns females on?)
  9. Young Tom Riddle (Harry Potter reference, there is something just so creepily hot and powerful about him that is just so sexy that you have no idea)
  10. Lucius Malfoy (Harry Potter referrence once again, hmm... evil... very evil... plain mean evil... cruel cold hearted evil... but blond... very blond... His sexy death eater black robes contrast with his platinum blond hair... dont you just love him?)
  11. Estella (Great Expectations, whoever said that this list was supposed to be restricted only to fictional males? I think she must be the only fallible woman that Dickens ever created, although he did redeem her in the end. She's beautiful, haughty and just plain sexy)

Actually I can think of several more appealing characters but since this is a 'Top 10' list I have to leave it at this. By the way there are always 11 numbers in my 'Top Ten' lists because I like prime numbers. Anyways feel free to tell me what fictional characters appeal to you people (male or female, I must add!)

5 comments:

The Poodle's Friend said...

What can I say, your obsession with Dave is just so mockable.
As for the random shaggables...hmm, let's see.
Becky Sharp (Vanity Fair), Spike (Buffy), Madame Bovary, Benvolio (R & J), Caesar (Antony and Cleopatra), Lady Macbeth, Ralph Fiennes as Lord Voldemort, Bathsheba Everdene (Far From the Madding Crowd), Lord Asriel (HDM)... Oh, and most of the ones you put up there, except Alex Thomas, who's just plain filthy.

Panacea said...

Alright i agree with most of your list apart from Madam Bovary - didnt she die of consumption or something similar..ewww. Ralph Fienees doesnt count because he's not fictional but seriously hot as Voldie i have to agree.

Also, Alex Thomas is just hot and will always be hot. Just because he doesnt bathe often doesnt make him less physically attractive!

Dr. Gonzo said...

Had a LOT of fun reading this :D

Charlie said...

Ahem. After reading your essay and the responses, why do I feel like a dirty old man peering into a girl's private conversation???

Hmm, Lucius Malfoy. I would never have thunk it. I totally dislike the little creep. Why not Snape? Although, for some reason, he sounds unwashed to me.

If I were to choose one person from each gender, I would choose Emma Bovary and Spike.

TPF insists that he is not half as smart as we think him to be and the only reason he appears to be smart is that he only talks about the things he knows.

TPF does sound rather sour apple-y, doesn't she. But think about this for a moment: What if he only talked about the things he doesn't know?

"Pooper"

Panacea said...

*sigh* I have to agree TPF IS rather sour about the whole thing.

Nope there is absolutely nothing private about this conversation. Anyone who knows me in real life know how much I like my English teacher. Apparently I go "starry eyed" to quote TPF every time he acknowledges my presence.

Hmm..Lucius is a creep, I agree but the blond hair does makes him endearing along with the money and power. Hmm..Snape as Alan Rickman will definitely come in the list but I don't think it is the Snape that JK wanted to present to us, is it?