Sunday, January 29, 2006

Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head...

Alright, now this is going to seem a rather strange topic for most people reading this entry. This post is solely going to be dedicated as a tribute to the first and true love of my short and unmeaningful life: Umbrellas. I love umbrellas, I really really love umbrellas. Why umbrellas one would ask. Its a rather simple explanation actually. Umbrellas make me feel secure. They make me feel safe. They protect you from the rain. When you've just come out of somewhere and its pouring (not raining or drizzling, but pouring like it does in the month of July in Mumbai), you get under your very own umbrella and you see everything around you is completely wet and dripping, but your hair and most of your body is dry, its a lovely feeling.
When I was a child I remember getting all the umbrellas in the house on my living room carpet, opening them up and joining them together to make a small house. The only thing I used to do in this 'Umbrella House' was sit in it and look at the colourful reflections of the colourful umbrella patterns in the sunlight. My grandma always screamed at me when I built the Umbrella House saying that it was bad luck to open umbrellas indoors but my mother always let me be saying that it would keep me occupied, atleast for a while and would keep me out of trouble, which it did, by the way.
Umbrellas are like my security blanket. (By the way what exactly is a security blanket? People in books seem to have them all the time?) When I was younger, the umbrella pattern and colour mattered a lot to me. It was always some sort of unofficial competition in school for the best umbrella. This girl I knew had one of those cool transparent plastic umbrellas that were not sold in India at that time that her aunt had got for her from America. I'm sure she didnt know how much I hated her from that umbrella. It was beautiful, fluorecent green and transparent. It used to be my fantasy umbrella. Oh, the sheer number of hours I have spent contemplating over that beautiful umbrella! Now, I have a plain browish small foldable umbrella that I love. I love wrapping my umbrella after it has dried: folding it up neatly, making the metal things go inside the handle, wrapping it properly around the pleats and voilĂ  its ready to be put in my bag.

9 comments:

The Poodle's Friend said...

aw!
I used to do the umbrella house thing too, except that I would pretend I was homeless, and my stuffed animals would keep me company.
Is that weird?

Panacea said...

OMG, little Acorn playing with stuffed animals..how cute!

nope, not weird at all. I wanted to be an orphan because everything cool always happened to orphans in books.

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm--- you absolutely begged me to leave a comment, so here it is: i used to play the umbrela thing also, but my sister and I were the "little adventurers" who had to survive on a desert island, hunt for food, escape pirates and all that stuff. Not v original, huh?!
Harry (ive given up, given you call me harry i suppose i will have to call myself harry also. WHY???!!!!! )

Mathangi said...

Hey there, thanks for leaving a comment. And now I know why you have to wait for the DVD:)...love the B'bay and umbrella connection! makes me terribly nostalgic (not that it takes much anyway;))...but keep dropping in.

Panacea said...

Harry darling the reason we've chosen your pseudonom as Harry is because it ryhmes with the first half of your name and the reason you have a pseudonom is because when you're a famous doctor and your clients perform random google checks on your name and come across this blog and read about the time you tried to pretend to be a lampost, you're not going to have much credebility as a doctor are you?

Anonymous said...

HEY!!!! Whats wrong with lamposts and books????!!!! I luv 'em, I have them on my cereal every morning.
Harry

Panacea said...

umm...random Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf? reference. It took me ages to get that one. idiot.. how literary of you! Dave would be proud.

Anonymous said...

honestly, im surprised you DID take so long... considering all we speak about in the bus is " Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? " Martha would be disappointed.
harry

Panacea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.