Friday, March 03, 2006

What immortal hand or eye/ Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

I wrote this post ages ago but I wasn't sure whether it was appropriate for me to post it on a blog. I came across it in my files a few days ago and thought, why not. Anyways, I'm not sure what this post is going to turn out to be but I am not trying to offend anyone through it.

I read His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman three years ago and was overwhelmed by it. I was about 15 at that time and I don't think I understood all of Pullman's implications in the book and the symbolism very well. To tell you the embarrassing truth, I saw it like a normal, fantasy series like the Lord of the Rings (which is still one of my favorites) or anything else in particular. But then last year I was first introduced to The Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake and then later on Paradise Lost by John Milton because we were studying both the books for school. Suddenly, it all started making sense to me. I started understanding the full extent of Pullman's implications and was blown away by series itself. It quite strange actually people actually label this series under Children's Literature because I really don't think its meant for children and wouldn't recommend anyone to give it to their children.

Sometimes, as TPF said in one of her previous posts, literature has the habit just makes you feel strange and give you a certain desire, but at the same time an inability to continue reading. When you read a certain line or a specific paragraph in a good book, it affects you in such a way that you start feeling queasy and almost lightheaded. I think, I had that feeling all through The Amber Spyglass and it just made such an huge impact on my mind because it is such an intense book. It is basically a recreation of the famous 'Fall of Man' with different symbolic characters and a twist in the tale. I also get the similar feeling when I read certain poems by Blake or certain parts of Paradise Lost. My very favourite lines in Paradise Lost are the lines from where Philip Pullman got the title for His Dark Materials:


Into this wild abyss,
The womb of nature and perhaps her grave,
Of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire,
But all these in their pregnant causes mixed
Confusedly, and which thus must ever fight,
Unless the almighty maker them ordain
His dark materials to create more worlds,
Into this wild abyss the wary fiend
Stood on the brink of hell and looked a while,
Pondering his voyage,


I do understand that most people will find it hard to understand what is going on but I beg you to re-read them several times until you start getting the hang of what they mean. The key to understanding Milton is re-reading and trying to understand it in small bits, rather than the paragraph as a whole. After all, its only in English. Oh, by the way, the 'the wary fiend' that Milton talks about is Satan (if you hadn't already understood that), who is standing at the edge of hell looking into the land of Chaos that he has to pass before reaching Earth in order to tempt Man. Its rather interesting that Milton has aptly named the mansion in hell that Satan and his followers build for their meetings 'Pandemonium'. Its oddly fitting isn't it? What I love about Milton that he's explored a very different side of the famous story that almost everyone, Christian or non-Christian knows - 'the Fall of Man'. Don't get me wrong; he hasn't changed or misrepresented any facts. The story is an almost similar replica to the one told to us in the Old Testament, but with different implications. How can I explain it without being confusing? Paradise Lost is narrated from a different point of view, with Satan being the anti-hero of this epic poem.


'With Ambitious Aim against The Throne and monarchy of God
Rais'd Impious War in Heav'n, and Battel Proud'


The above quote is another one of my favourites. In Paradise Lost, Satan is the main character and God, one the other hand is seen as daunting and intimidating ruler, like in the Old Testament really. I mean, most of Book III in Paradise Lost actually describes a Lord Of The Rings kind of battle scene between Satan's army and God's army in heaven with weapons and the works. Of course, as we all know that God's side wins.

I love William Blake just as much actually. I can't believe that he actually wrote poems about his fascination with Hell and got away with nobody killing him:


'As I was walking among the Fires of Hell,
Delighted with the Enjoyments of Genius'


Blake was a poet much ahead of his times. He clearly believed himself to be the living embodiment of the spirit of Milton. Some of his poems in The Songs of Experience can be linked to the 'Fall of Man' and its future consequences as they are presented in the Old Testament and in Paradise Lost. The poems in The Songs of Experience may not seem linguistically complex for us to comprehend. This is because Blake's simplicity in language contradicts the complexity of his ideas. Most of his poems can be interpreted at different levels from a one-dimensional stories to multi-dimensional messages and we eventually realize that the seemingly simple content of his poetry is much more sophisticated than what it initially appears. One of my favourite Blake poems is A Poison Tree because it can just be understood at so many different levels:


A Poison Tree
I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
And I watered it in fears,
Night and morning with my tears;
And I sunnéd it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.
And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright,
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine,
And into my garden stole,
When the night had veiled the pole.
In the morning, glad I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.


William Blake also happens to the only man according to me who could have summed up in an unbiased way the entire 'The Fall of Man' in just 4 lines:


The sexes sprung from shame and pride,
Blowed in the morn, in evening died;
But mercy changed death into sleep;
The sexes rose to work and weep.


I do adore his poetry so much. Of course, I cannot end this post without mention his most famous poem, The Tiger, from where the title of the post comes from. It is a wonderful piece of work with implications that one would find almost inconceivable especially at the time when it was written.

I obviously not being a scholar or an expert cannot be arrogant enough to claim to understand even half of Milton or Blake's ideas, but whatever little I have understood from their work, I can say that I love them very much.

PS: This is long, I'm sorry. I do get rather verbose when I'm feeling particularly fangirlish.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also love the fact that Milton was considered to be unknowingly of the 'devil's party'. He does, in fact, portray Satan as a tragic hero- I believe we tend to empathise with him to some extent; he is not seen as a cruel, evil monster. This gives us an interesting insight into Milton's mind....

The Lord of the rings is your favourite book??!! You didn't read all the descriptions! Cheater! Though I still don't understand why you liked it so much- the movie is way better. In the book Tolkien spends entire CHAPTERS describing the bloomin history of the little guys... b-o-r-i-n-g. I bet you missed out that part also!

Eris said...

you really are a blake fan, aren't you? i honestly dont know how we're friends but there's just no accounting for taste.
that said, it's a very nice post. glad you published it. i'm going to go back and read it again after class. and yeah, i so know what you mean about a good book making you uneasy and light-headed. how sad are we?

Panacea said...

Harry darling, I was trying to be sensitive by not saying what you just did, but just implying it. I completely agree with you by the way.
Hey LOTR rules, even though it may have some boring descriptions. Eris and I spent half of 9th grade obsession over it. Actually we loved the history of 'the little guys' as you just called them. We even made family trees, although both of us will deny it when asked in public. I mean, Frodo and Sam are the hottest new couple in Hollywood after Peter Jackson's elongated rendition of LOTR.

Eris - I'm glad you liked it, I wasn't sure if people would. I am a Milton and a Blake fan. I guess I prefer Blake because I understand him more than Milton. The answer to your question will be 'very sad'

The Poodle's Friend said...

Oh, you big fangirl, you!
I can't believe you guys actually read LOTR. I never managed to go beyond the elf coucil thing.
And family trees? creepy.

niTin said...

Incidentally, it was when commenting on a post written about the Lord of the Rings by a “motivated-culprit” that I first came across the salvageyard. But I became one of the regular readers after I’d read the post -something on greek tragedy and all that jazz, and actually commented on it too, though for some unknown reason the post has been deleted.

There is a certain element of allegory that is almost missed by the movies.Yes the movies were fast and spectacular, however, it does no justice to the life and times during which LOTR first appeared on the scene. I've half a mind to go on and on but I must remember that I'm in someone else's yard.

Panacea said...

TPF - You, my dear are an idiot!

Nitin - I took down the Greek Tragedies post and have put in my drafts for a while now because it contains a paragraph that I've used in a coursework essay. These courseworks are marked by people who have plagerism machines. So I dont want them to think I've copied work from an internet article because nowhere on this blog is my real name mentioned. I shall post it back up in a few months.
By the way, its really nice to have regulars commenting on my blog who are not my 'Real Life' friends. I personally really enjoyed the LOTR movies, but you're right, something is still missing in the movies that is there in the book and I never will know what. I don't mind you ranting here because that's what this place is for :D

Eris said...

pan, honey, please dont involve me in your depravity. yes, i read the lord of the rings and yes, i did like it. but i skiped all those pages of bloody awful poetry and i sure as hell did not enjoy reading about the little buggers' history.
you're the only one who did and that's only because you thought frodo and sam made a cute couple!
of course i'll deny it, its not bloody true!!!!! and family trees??
writing down all the names we could remember- and in your case, spell- does not constitute the study of lineage! remind me again, why do i associate with you? i cannot believe you're ruining my reputation on your blog as well as mine.

Panacea said...

Frankengirl - Milton unfortunately was rather ambiguous when it comes to feminism. The whole of Paradise Lost I agree is unfairly sexist. But then again, he was just trying to re-tell the events as they were in the Old Testament. On the other hand, he also wrote a dissertation on why 'divorce' should be legalized because it was a biblical concept and why men and women should not be forced to live together if they didn't want to. I'm afraid we'll never know where he stood with women.

Eris - Seriously deny it all you might but I still remember that tracing incident in 9th grade when our science teacher caught you tracing the bloody ring in the middle of the lesson and I had to lie to her to save you. You still owe me for that one by the way.

Eris said...

oh my gosh, ok, just.... ok, wait. thats just coz i liked the writing, it looked nice! you're right, im sad and i'll owe you forever. i'm still in awe of your lying abilities.

Panacea said...

frankengirl - Thanks for the link. It was very interesting and also insightful. I had never read much about his daughters in any of the previous bios I read about him.

Eris - I still can't imagine how in the wide world could she have believed that flimsy lie I made up on the spot. I'm pretty much in awe of my own lying skills after than incident!