Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Is it worth it? Hell yes!

There are 3 main ways in which I can get to school each morning. Each of them is rather different and is appealing in its own way:
  1. Take the 61 (which is a bus) directly from front of my house to the front of school (Duration of journey: 45-50 mins with traffic)
  2. Take the 54 (another bus) for about 5 stops, then take the metro (aka the underground or the subway in most normal countries) for 3 stops and then take the 50 (another bus) directly to school (Duration of journey: 40-45 mins with traffic)
  3. Take the 54 for 5 stops, then take the metro for the whole way and then the 95 (another bus) for 3 stops directly to school (Duration of journey: 30-35 mins)

Now for the advantages and the disadvantages of each route. From the above description surely route 1 seems like the most viable option for most people and it was the same to me for the last 3 years). But I have realized that as people get older, they become more and more complacent and it is those 5 mins that make the biggest difference between getting to school on time or getting a black cross in the late register (Btw, the rule is that if you have more than 2 unjustified lates you're supposed to be in detention but exceptions are made for us nerds where teachers turn a blind eye to our forged notes with feeble excuses that say 'My daughter is late because she was not feeling well and got up later than usual')

So route 1 became out of question this year when I realized that my nerd status has certain limitations to the amount of time one can use the same excuse. The next most viable option definitely is route 3, in fact it is much better than route 1 because it really gets you to school on time with hardly any traffic. One of the only disadvantages of this route apart from changing public transport 3 times is that the 95 is the MOST unreliable form of public transport one can ever come across. Trudging early in the morning from the metro station to school is definitely out of question because of my laziness.

That brings me to route 2. I love route 2. I know, it sounds rather weird because the time taken for me to get to school is hardly any different from route 1. But its those vital 5 mins that make a difference everyday. Its just 3 stops by the metro, and then the 50. I think the 50 is the only reason why I love route 2. I get to sit in the bus most of the times and the 50 passes throughout the old city centre of Milan. Whatever qualms I have against Italy and Milan in general, one thing I have agree is that it has a beautiful, old city centre. This bus even passes across some of the big, ancient churches in the city. The buildings are so old, European and just beautiful. I always love to see the juxtaposition between the old buildings and the modern shops with neon lights like Nike, Footlocker, Benetton or even McDonald's. Its not just Milan actually, most of the European cities are exactly like this. Some people find it rather ugly how globalisation has encroached upon the European culture and ruined the beauty of the old buildings there. I like to think that both neon lights and old buildings coexist harmoniouly alongside each other, each with its own allure. But that's just my poetic self I guess, I even think skyscrapers are imposing and beautiful rather than blocks of concrete as most people think of them. But, as usual I digress.

So therefore, I think that route 2 is the most favourable option even if it involves me getting to school almost late but not that late everyday. Its totally worth it!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, route 2 IS the safest... especially considering the somewhat *cough* doubtful persons (hah- americanism!) which populate the 95.
Why is it that you STILL don't get to school on time? Fie, shame shame shame.
Confess it: the real reason you stopped taking route 1 is not the 'lateness' (you're used to it by now) but the creepy guy who used to stare at you and sneakily take pictures of you listening to your ipod. He he.

Panacea said...

Harry - I do get to school on time. That is the point. I don't have a single late mark this term!

Oh, thank you for reminding me of the creep! I still cant believe he took my pictures on his phone. Im not sure what I'll do if people find naked pictures on the internet with my head on them.

The Poodle's Friend said...

You get the school on time? Where was I when that happened?

Oh the creep! I thought I'd never hear the end of that! Pan, honey, are you sure he wasn't just looking at you because you had an iPod? Because weirdos in public transport are liable to do that. Once, a creepy man asked me what it was that I was so jealously cradling in my hands. I had to explain to him what an iPod was, and by the end of my explanation, he still thought it was a walkman.

Panacea said...

TPF - trust me, he wasn't clicking my ipod, just me, which is rather weird.

Hey, lets not talk about your arrival to school each morning. I'm always on time. After all, not all of us are as privilaged as you are with AKB's blatant favouritism.

Once a creepy old man sitting next to me in an aeroplane asked me how much it cost. I told him I didn't know and that it was gifted to me.

Eris said...

technically, for route 3 you'd just have to change transportation twice and not three times. sorry, you know i had to do that. you are insane, you realize that right?
i cannot believe you'd rather take route 2 than the wonderful route 1. having said that, i prefer walking for 40 mins to college instead of taking the bus so i guess I'm in no position to talk.

Panacea said...

Cookie - I know route 1 makes sense and that's what I took for the last 3 years but whatever I seem to do this year I am ALWAYS late. The route HAD to be switched and there was no possible option in that.
Sorry change twice for both route 2 and route 3.
OMG, you walk 40 mins instead of taking the bus, you're like my mother. That's weird, why would anyone apart from my mother voluntarily want to walk when there is an easier way that involves not walking?

The Poodle's Friend said...

OMG I hate walking so much. Totally agree with Pan here. How can you choose to voluntarily walk?

Panacea said...

Frankengirl - Its like Sophie's Choice, isn't it? I'm not sure how I even made the decision myself :D

Although I have to admit, its rather flattering to have a stalker, as long as he doesn't post naked pictures with your face on them you on the internet

Eris said...

lol. the two of you are unbelievably lazy. i LIKE walking. plus pan, those inner lanes in santa cruz are reeeeeeeaaally pretty and i love looking at all the flowers. so there! plus ahem, the money i save on the bus? it goes to my buy-at-least-2-pratchetts-a-month fund.

niTin said...

I shirked from commenting because the public transport system in Italy is hardly my terra firma . But then, public transport is not my terra firma at all.
I, who am lovingly carried from the doorstep to the gates of the University on an S.U.V, would not know a thing about public transport. And perhaps that is the reason I crave to be on one, regularly.
So I won’t comment on the blog, but commenting on the comments, I’m such a walky kind of person. Maybe that’s because there are lots of woods in Pleasantville and I can often be found there ambling without purpose, muttering to myself. I love walking long distances. It brings so many other things in perspective.

Panacea said...

Another person who loves walking! I can only get things in perspective when I'm thinking sitting or lying down and day dreaming. But that's just my weird, lazy, lazy self. But if I'm chatting or talking to someone I dont mind strolling and I can't stay still (TPF can tell you!), but if I have to do purposeful walking, I just can't get myself to move.

Dr. Gonzo said...

By Golly, this post is precisely the reason for which blogging was thought of!

Panacea said...

Its such a random topic to discuss on a blog post, isn't it? I mean, who apart from me would even think of discussing public transpost on their blog.

The point of blogs is innane ramblings that nobody in your real life wants to listen to ;)