Thursday, February 02, 2006

Bookshelves and Morality

This post is solely dedicated for my own amusement and is also a great opportunity for TPF to mock me once again (as if she didn’t already do so the whole of today). Anyways, Thursdays are always bittersweet for me because even though I start with Biology and Chemistry one after the other in the morning, I have a double free lesson in the afternoon which is the best thing ever. So today at our free lesson, TPF and me sneaked into Dave’s room which was empty at that time and used his computer to go on Mugglenet to read the Harry Potter captions (which are really funny this week by the way).
One whole wall in our English class is a big bookshelf filled with really cool books that nobody reads, so they’re just gathering dust on the shelves there (fine, I'm the only one who finds them cool). Sometimes there are several copies of the same book, so I decided that since there was nobody in the room at that time, it would be a great idea to steal a book that has multiple copies on the shelf, so it wouldn’t even be missed (how moral of me!). So this book that I decided to steal was on the topmost shelf, which I obviously couldn't reach because of my height. At that time it standing on a lower shelf with high heels in order to reach the upper most shelf seemed like a great idea (don’t even ask me why!). So, as soon as I tried to stand on the shelf, the shelf obviously broke becauase of my weight and all the books on that shelf fell down on the floor. At that exact moment, the bell for the next lesson rang and people were probably about to have a lesson in that room with Dave. I obviously panicked and my first thought was to sneak out of the room before people started entering, like any rational person would have done in my place, but no, TPF made me feel moral and guilty about wanting to sneak out and so we started trying to fix the broken shelf.
Thankfully we managed to fix the shelf, dump all the books back on the shelf, steal the book that I originally wanted (thankfully TPF is taller than I am) and get out before anybody entered. Thank god, people are always late to their classes in my school because if we were caught we probably would have been in a rather compromising situation and TPF would have had to explain to Dave why he had a broken shelf and a hyperventilating student (me!) in a classroom that is supposed to be out of bounds when he’s not in there.

On a completely unrelated note, I’m mocking TPF in this post because she was being rather silly and not to mention, very nerdy by writing random Romeo and Juliet quotes (that she knew by heart, by the way) on the board of an empty classroom today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, so much for your forray into larceny. honestly, what is it with you and stealing books?
bloody hilarious.

Panacea said...

Its not exactly larceny. Also, its an amazing book that nobody's ever going to miss or ever appreciate. Atleast, this way its not gathering dust on an unreachable bookshelf.

Alright, this happens to be my second book stealing incident in 18 years and not a recurring habit.

The Poodle's Friend said...

Why, you little thief.
An appropriate quotation for the situation (the rhyme here is entirely unintentional):
'Stars, hide your fires:
Let not light see my black and deep desires.'
TPF saved you from a day of feeling guilty about Dave's shelf. You should be thanking me.

Panacea said...

wow, the first part of your quote sounds creepily familiar. Have you been plagiarizing your work from the Ugandian farmboy again? Shame on you!

Anonymous said...

shame shame shame! I hope you will return the books sooner or later! Don't be me with the chemistry books, which have sedimented at the bottom of my shelf... for 2 months now... i had almost forgotten about them!

By the way, TPF.... you know your romeo and juliet quote? well, it was replaced 20 minutes after you left by a potato head drawn by juice (i think it was him), and was then used for a game of pictionary or something... oh well, good things dont last

Panacea said...

Harry darling, you're definately not my worst nighmare. My worst nightmare is actually Simon (my Bio teacher) ballet dancing naked on the lunch room table. (eww!)

You still havnt returned the Chemistry book? And then we wonder why he hates you so much. Although, I have to admit you must be the only nerd who could have actually stolen a Data-bloody-book!