Friday, February 03, 2006

Genre Problems?

People sometimes get rather annoyed by the fact that I dont have a favourite genre. Everybody else seems to have one. I cant help it if I'm fickle with my genres. I read books according to my mood and not their genre. Its rather bigoted of people to not even try a particular book because its not their kind of genre. Alright, I do seem to understand that some people just like some kind of books but you cant label a book by its genre. Most of the times your preference just depends on the writing style and the story rather than whether it is set in Victorian London or in the 25th century on another planet.
I'm rather ashamed to admit it, but I just have to, sometimes the books I read don't even depend on the quality of writing but just my state of mind or external environment. I love reading all kinds of genres and just won't be able to choose a favourite. I love reading a variety of genres from classical literature like Wuthering Heights and Great Expectations, dystopian novels like 1984 and A Clockwork Orange, science fiction like A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or fantasy like His Dark Materials to contemporary fiction by Margaret Atwood, Ian McEwan, John Irving and other writers. I also admit to falling prey to badly written fiction for 30 year old single women by people called Meg Cabbot and Sophie Kinsella and thoroughly enjoying them. Sometimes you need a 'happily ever after' in an unrealistic situation to make you happy. I am female after all, that's what we do: read cheezy american novels and watch cheezy chick flicks and squeal "awwwww" and sob for no reason at all, while everybody else rolls their eyes.
God, while I'm on with confessing my deepest and darkest secrets I might as well say it: I read The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons two summers ago. But you know, when you're lying on the beach in France at Nice or Antibes, in the middle of summer, right after your GCSEs, with no worries about anything at all, under the deep blue skies of the Cote d'Azure, anything you read then seems to be the best book in the world. Then, I come back home after a great summer holiday and while putting my books back on the shelf at home look at those two books and think to myself, what did I read this summer? What the hell did I bloody read this summer? Seriously, Dan Brown, what was I even thinking? Those two books come under my 'books-that-are-so-bad-I-cant-believe-that-I've-actually-read-them' list. But you see, when I was actually reading them, they seemed great, probably because of the atmosphere I was in.

5 comments:

The Poodle's Friend said...

Disgusting. You furthered that evil man's reign of doom. You should be ashamed of yourself for even touching those books, let alone buying and reading them.
I find no suitable words to voice my disgust at your abysmal reading tastes. I am confident that you can imagine what words I'd be using if I actually had any.
Go finish Vanity Fair, you evil midget.

Panacea said...

I know I did. I feel really horrible even thinking about it. I have sworn of thrillers forever now.
Oh, you're the one talking about Vanity Fair, let me not get Middlemarch into this conversation.
Oh, and btw there's just one midget and that's our dear Fat Midget!

Arthur Quiller Couch said...

We all have this secret shame about reading Dan Brown. He can't write English but he can plot. Besides, he's made his millions. Who are we to say that the rest of the world are morons?

In Milan? Is that an interesting city? I do remember that it was expensive. I didn't like that. And the girls wore their pants very very low. THAT I liked!

Anonymous said...

'you're' cribbing about genre??? let me get this straight...... 'you', Miss I-wont-read-this-fic-even-though-my-best-friend-said-it-was-one-of-her-favourites-just-because-i-dont-like-the-ship-or-the-era-or-just-coz-i'm-in-a-pissy-mood, thinks its wrong if people just dismiss a book for whatever reason without giving it a try? okaaaaaay, just so long as we're clear on that.

Panacea said...

Coolkie - That's completely different. You're talking about fanfiction. You cant compare fanfiction to real books, however good the fic may be. Also, I do read different generes in fanfic. Come on, I even read AU and PREG fics for some reason, its just my ship that Im fixed on.
What can I say, I'm rather testy with my ships!