Saturday, September 30, 2006

Libraries

The best things about libraries has always been the way they smell. I don'’t think there is anything in the world that smells better than read, dusty, old books.

Libraries have always intimidated me ever since childhood. I think this is mainly due to the fact that my old school library was an old chapel converted into a library. Therefore it always seemed a little daunting to me, until I eventually got used to it. It was a humongous, dark room with little sunlight, stain glass windows and no electric lights (at least during the day). If you entered the library in the afternoon, you would get temporarily blinded because it used to be so dark inside.

It was a beautiful room with stone floors that kept the temperature inside cool even in hot and humid Bombay summers. The room was equipped with a large circular table, which always fondly reminded me of King Arthur's round table and had a large circle of locked cupboards around its edges. Sometimes when I entered the library I liked imagining that time had suspended around me and I had entered another dimension. It was the only place in school where I could be alone and all by myself (because none of my friends cared much about libraries or books) and it comforted me. I used to sit for hours there and go through books until the dreaded bell told me that it was time to come back into reality and return to class.

Most of the other people in school ever read anything apart from old Enid Blyton books from the library that I had already grown beyond when I started borrowing books from there. So after much begging on my part, and deliberation my teacher's part, she gave me (and Eris, of course) a free reign to go through all the locked cupboards that were full of books no one had ever bothered to look at for decades and I'm sure no one after me will probably bother with them for a few more decades. I discovered some of my favourite books hidden among those shelves. I would not have read the whole Narnia series if Eris had not discovered it by mistake while looking for Trixie Belden books in those shelves.

My high school library, on the other hand, was much more modern and full of well known books. It didn't have any rare or hidden or dusty books as a matter of fact. It also had an electronic check out system (with the kind of machines you have in supermarkets) and a whole load of computers that we were supposed to use for research purposes. Most people actually used these computers for playing flash games because the library computers were not supervised unlike the school computers by our computer teacher. Most of the times the library was used either as a 'hang out'’ place by people on rainy days or as a last minute 'homework copying' place. I had a young, sweet, library teacher who was also my English teacher for my first two years in high school. I always knew that something was missing from that library, until I realized that it was the dark, ominous atmosphere and written check out library cards that I missed. Until that moment I had never realized how much I loved my archaic, middle school library that I grew up in.

Right now all I have an access to is a humongous University library where I have to look up all the books I want via an online catalogue. No more going through library shelves or reading book jackets. Sometimes, just sometimes I detest technology.


PS: On a completely unrelated note, today is also Pan's birthday. She feels too old to be true!

9 comments:

Eris said...

honey, the only reason she let you into the locked cupboards was because sarah and i spent the entire summer helping with the new books and she knew you were my friend.
remember the weirdstone of brisingamen?

Anonymous said...

Libraries... squeal.
Ahem. Ahem. Okay I'll act like a guy now.
First off, Arpy Burrday.(well belated)
Secondly, we all know what the best feature in my library is.
Doesn't your new library have stacks at all? But that's a pity. How can one browse- which is the essence of serendipitous discovery. But well.

Arthur Quiller Couch said...

I agree, there's something about TOUCHING a book that makes all the difference.

The Poodle's Friend said...

Hey, if there wasn't technology, there wouldn't be google talk, or mobile phones, and then you and I would have to communicate by letter. So, all in all, I'm glad it exists!

Anonymous said...

Um, it's me again. It's kind of related to your post and kind of isn't, but well.
I just found this book, it is a collection of Penguin Book Covers- spanning from 1935 to 2005.
And this other person who was inspired by this book, looked around, found similar stuff online and in the local bookstore then posted it online in a Flickr account.
Thought of you, since we all know how much you like Penguin Book covers.

ash said...

D'oh D'oh and double D'oh. I left a birthday message for TPF all because I can't read! Happy birthday Pan, sorry it's late.

Szerelem said...

Oh, I love the way libraries smell. And I love the smell of books. Each has a different smell. The first thing I do woth a new book is smell it. And feel the paper....=D

Eris said...

is it just me or do all the book molestors in the world read your blog?
yay. we should start a club.

Panacea said...

Sorry everyone for late replies. My blogsopt dashboard was not working for the last few days and I couldn't access it.

Eris: Hey, I didnt need to 'help' her to make her like me. She fell for my charming, adorable, bookish personality.
You're right, Alan Garner was a demi-god to me after that book.

Nitin: ha, you have your own fanboyish (?) reasons for loving libraries ;) Our library has stacks full of only economics text books because that is what the university library specializes in.
Ooh, thanks for the cover links. TPF and I spent 30 mins mutually squealing over gtalk at the links that you sent. They were great. I heart penguin :D

AQC: Yeah, I get what you mean. Im a book sniffing person and a book touching person too :)

TPF: Once again dearest friend, you lose the point completely :P

Ash: Thank you, it wasnt that late. You should have seen the number of people who actually called me up for my birthday a week later.
Don't worry about your reading abilities, as I told you, there are theories floating about the internet that TPF and I are the same person :D

szerelem: I'm obsessive about sniffing books and keep doing so in bookstores embarrassing my friends. I love the feel of paper myself. I am also obsessive about pulishers, covers and ahem, font. As I always tell people, the best thing about a book is the anticipation of reading it and knowing how brilliant it is going to be rather than actually reading it.

Eris (again): Well, the only reason they come to my blog is becuase they are book molesters :) Ok, we can have a club only if we name it after me!